A few days ago I had the pleasure of attending a Paramigiano Reggiano cooking class with the Biltmore Culinary Academy at the Biltmore Hotel in Coral Gables. The cooking class was led by the Biltmore Executive Chef David Hackett. For this event we whipped up several amazing Italian dishes all made with Paramigiano Reggiano, also known to you as Parmesan Cheese. The art of making Parmigiano Reggiano dates back hundreds of years, to a time when artisans produced it in large quantities in copper vats. Today, cheese houses (called ‘caseficio’s) across Parma continue to produce it in the same, timeless manner for us to enjoy all around the world.
For this class we divided up into groups of 4 and each group was given a receipt to the dish they were going to prepare. After a few sips of wine and munching on their gorgeous spread it was time to get to work. Ours group had to prepare Parmigiano Reggiano Baked Sea Scallops served with Cumin Corn Salsa (check out the receipt below). Surprisingly this dish was quite simple to make, and with the help of Chef David we were able to master this receipt and got some great cooking tips along the way. Once all 8 dishes were complete each group had a chance to explain what they made and then it was time to dig in!
Special thank you to the Biltmore Hotel for inviting the South Florida Bloggers to experience this cooking class with the Biltmore Culinary Academy. This event was a total successful filled with delicious food, yummy drinks and great company. See all the fun we had below!
A wheel of Parmigiano Reggiano
Executive Chef David Hackett
Parmigiano Reggiano Baked Sea Scallops served with Cumin Corn Salsa:
- Ingredients:1lb. – Jumbo Sea Scallops 6/81/4 cup – Mayonnaise½ cup – Grated Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese1/8 tsp – Ground Cayenne Pepper1ea. – Fresh Lemon Juice½ Cup – Crushed Whole Wheat CrackersMethod:
- Heat oven to 400F.
- Mix the mayonnaise, parmesan cheese, lemon juice and cayenne pepper together until well incorporated.
- Place the Scallops on a parchment paper lined ½ sheet tray (spray with non-stick) and coat the top of each scallop with the parmesan cheese mixture.
- Once each scallops top is coated dredge or sprinkle the crushed whole wheat crackers on top of the parmesan cheese mixture and place back on the sheet pan.
- Bake in the oven for about 10 to 12 minutes or until slightly firm, they will carry over in temperature.
Cumin Corn Salsa
2ea. Fresh Corn on the Cobb – cleaned and kernels removed
½ cup – Poblano Peppers – medium to small dice
½ cup – Red Bell Peppers – medium to small dice
½ cup – Red Onion – medium to small dice
2ea. – Medium Red Tomato, seeded – medium to small dice
¼ cup – Green Olives chopped
¼ cup – Pickled Jalapeno chopped with some juice
¼ cup – Cilantro Finely chopped
2 Tablespoons – Apple Cider Vinegar
½ Teaspoon Garlic Powder
2 Tablespoons Cumin
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Once all ingredients have been diced and chopped place them in a large zip lock bag, seal and toss until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Place in the refrigerator and allow chill until service.
Iberico Ham, Phyllo, Parmigiano Reggiano Asparagus Fingers
Parmigiano Reggiano/Ricotta Cheese Potato Gnocchi with Cilantro Butter Sauce
Parmigiano Reggiano Potato Flan Topped with Chorizo, Wild Mushrooms and Tomato Ragu
Spicy Chocolate Dipped assorted fruit with dusted Parmigiano Reggiano and coconut dust
Parmigiano Reggiano Taco Shells with Cuban Picadillo
South Florida Bloggers!