Happy New Year my dear sweet readers! The day has finally come when we can leave 2016 and all of its bullshit in the past! I hope you all had a safe and fun New Year celebration with friends, family and bubbly of course. Cheers to all that’s to come! Now that 2017 has begun and you’ve cured that New Year’s hangover it’s time to start planning on making the most of 2017.
“A goal without a plan is just a wish.” – Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Whether you roughly plan out your year entirely or break it down month my month, week by week. Planning is essential to everything you do in life from planning to get to work on time or planning a wedding. Planning will not only say you time and make your day to day more effective but it will set you up for success. And who doesn’t want success!? There are a few things I like to do in the beginning on the New Year that sets me up to have a successful year.
- Take a break -Yes, we just started 2017 and I’m already asking for a break. It’s important that after a busy holiday season you take a day or two or however long your life allows to recharge and refocus your mind for the New Year. Take a road trip, plan a stay-cation, a luxurious spa day or simply resting will make all of the difference. You will return from break with a clear mind and clear intention on what you want in the New Year.
- Create a vision board – I like to do this if not before the New Year, within the first month. This vision board will act as a physical reminder of everything you wish to achieve this year. Put it in a place you are for sure to see when you start your day. I put mine above my desk so I can see it when I wake up and while I’m working to help keep me motivated.
- Tidy up – Throughout a whole year, you will be surprised how much clutter you’ve collected. It’s time to de-clutter your life and clear up space for all the new things coming your way in 2017. So clean out your closet, your office, you kitchen, your friends list, everything!
- Get organized – I always do this as a tidy up since they go hand in hand. Put things in their right place, create new spaces for new things, revamp your office for a more successful year, redo your closet to save time picking out clothes etc.
- Take care of YOU – We should always remember we work at our best when we are at our best. So book those yearly wellness appointments early. The earlier you plan for this, the more effectively you can plan your overall wellness plan for the rest of the year.
- Plan to save – Saving is not something most of us plan to do. We just transfer money when we can, or drop some change in our piggy banks but as an adult that’s not enough. Do your budget, plan your expenses and make sure that saving is an “expense”. There are so many tools to help you save whatever you can, whether it’s change from a transaction or 10% of your paycheck. I also love doing those 52 week savings challenges, where you save a certain amount of money every week and at the end of the year you end up with $1000-$2000 in savings.
- Prep your tool box – Review the past year and research tools that could’ve helped you out. Maybe buying apps to help you better your social media strategies, planning a kiddie car pool to give you more time at work or creating a meal plan to help you stay fit. You would be surprised at all the tools out there to help make anyone’s life easier and much more successful.
- Create a balanced at work & life – This year is all about making time for yourself, for all the things you want and love to do. While we have to work to maintain our lifestyle make sure to find an equal balance between supporting your life and living it.
- Set your intentions – In 2017 it’s all about plan and execute. It’s the perfect time to align yourself with these new intentions. Ask yourself what you desire in 2017 Ask yourself are these realistic, positive, focused and healthy intentions. Connect with the things in your life that are most important to you, family, work, self-care etc. Reflect on how you can be better in each of those areas. We all deserve to live a life of purpose and one that connects us to the world we live in.
- Reflect on your accomplishments – 2016 was a great year. We’ve worked hard to set the tone for 2017, to prepare for success! As much as we planned it’s time to let all those plan turn to fruition. While we welcome new opportunities and success, don’t forget to take a moment to reflect on 2016. Reflect on all of your growth and thank those who helped you get there.
May you all have a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year!